Ecological production with the Hager GroupWhat is the advantage of the most environmentally friendly product if during production resources are unnecessarily wasted? At Hager, we run the full environmental course even at the production stage. This covers all steps of manufacturing – from the selection of raw materials, via processing to recycling. In real terms this means that eleven of our production plants worldwide are now certified under the ISO 14000 international environmental management standard. And it is our goal that 90 per cent of our employees will be working in ISO 14000-certified production centres by 2015.
Doing more with lessSo as to progressively reduce the environmental burden, the Hager Group has compiled a very comprehensive package of measures. Amongst other things it stipulates:
- using as little raw materials as possible
- utilising recycled and recyclable raw materials
- utilising less diverse materials; thus facilitating a higher standardisation in the manufacturing process
- reducing the consumption of electricity, gas and water during production. An immaculate example of this is the in-house waste water treatment plant at our paint shop in Blieskastel, Germany
- uncomplicated product structures which are easier to dissemble and more convenient to recycle
- using renewable energy, such as our photovoltaic system in Blieskastel which already covers 5 % of our entire energy requirements
- operating durable, easy-to-service machines and tools.
Less product movementWhat is the benefit of an ecological product if it has to travel half way round the globe before reaching its end user? We systematically bypass such situations by promoting local production and in doing so, save time, fuel, carbon emissions and costs.
Less human movementThe same goes for the transport of our employees. Where possible, meetings are conducted using video, telephone or web conferencing. If travel is inevitable, public transport is used and when a car is absolutely necessary, car sharing is used where possible.
And for those who like to take a sporty approach, cycling to work is definitely an option!